Not everyone knows what hemoccult testing & treatment is or if they need that kind of testing and care. In a nutshell, hemoccult testing detects blood in bowel movements through fecal matter. If the test is positive, it could indicate a more serious health issue within your gastrointestinal tract. Polmed Primary Care & Walk-In Clinic is well-versed in many specialties in New Port Richey, offering you the hemoccult services you need.
Are you still unsure if you need hemoccult testing? These are some symptoms that could show the need for a test to be better safe:
- Any unexplained abdominal bloat or cramping
- Unusually loose or hard bowel movements, consistently
- Blood on the toilet tissue when you wipe after using the restroom
- Iron deficiency in bloodwork
- Nausea or unexplained vomiting
- Loss of warmth or inability to get warm
How Should You Prepare for a Hemoccult Test?
When you need to get a clean culture for the lab, you can prepare for your hemoccult test in the following ways:
- Hydrate (8 eight-ounce glasses of water) per day for three days before your test.
- Cut out red meats and iron-rich vegetables two days before your test, like broccoli and cauliflower.
- Bulk up with fiber, i.e., bananas, strawberries, whole-grain bread, and oatmeal.
- Avoid OTC painkillers, like naproxen and ibuprofen, for up to a week before your test.
How Often Do You Need a Hemoccult Test?
Before age 50, you will only need a hemoccult test if your doctor recommends one. After 50, it’s important to get annual hemoccult tests to check for colon cancer. If your family has a history of colorectal cancer or other gastrointestinal issues, your doctor may suggest annual hemoccult testing beginning at 40.
Hemoccult testing & treatment in Clearwater is as reliable and straightforward as booking an appointment with us at Polmed Primary Care & Walk-In Clinic. Blood can be in your stool for several reasons, some serious, and others are not-so-serious. Call us at (727) 339-2054 to schedule an appointment.
I’ve been going to CC, a Nurse Practitioner, Denise, and Sarah, at Dr. Kaszuba’s office for a long time now. I just want to say how I love this office. I found out about the office when I took an elderly patient here for her visit. They were so welcoming, I decided to switch to them for my doctor even though I live in Pinellas Park. I’ve always received the best care here.