Glucose is another name for sugar. Therefore, glucose testing in Largo is a blood draw that tests for sugar in your blood. In some cases, urine can be used for testing your glucose, but the blood draw is thought to be more accurate. When a doctor tests your glucose, they look for elevated numbers that could indicate problems with prediabetes or diabetes.
Signs that you might need a blood glucose test include:
- Tiredness, lightheadedness, or dizziness that comes and goes frequently
- Weakness and/or pale gums and fingernail beds
- Increased heart rate and/or excessive sweating with bare minimum activity
- Excessive hunger and weight gain
- Chronic fatigue and inexplicable irritability
- Excessive sweating while asleep
- Confusion and lack of concentration or focus
- Tingling and blue tinges in your limbs for long periods of time
Other more severe symptoms might include convulsions and seizures, a state of delirium, and loss of consciousness. In these latter cases, it’s important to seek emergency medical assistance immediately.
How Long Will You Have to Wait for Results from a Glucose Test?
You should receive the results from your glucose tests within 2 to 3 business days. In most cases, it takes 2 days for a three-hour glucose test to finish through the labs.
How Often Do You Need a Glucose Test from the Doctor?
The average person needs a glucose test with a complete blood panel once a year. Persons with prediabetes or diabetes may need testing more often to control their conditions.
At Polmed Primary Care & Walk-In Clinic, we follow the same medical guidelines that you’re used to from other primary care physicians and nurses throughout your lifetime. Our facility is safe and secure, and we strive to make you as comfortable as possible before and during your checkups and procedures. While we accept walk-in patients for glucose testing in Largo, you can also call us at (727) 339-2054 to make an appointment.